Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Caught between a rock and a hard place


Upon looking at today's events, I have come to realize something: My boyfriend is psychic. Or something... I'm not quite sure what yet. Before you walk away, let me explain.

Last night Brian and I were talking about his impending decision about joining the armed forces. My oh-so-practical loverboy suggested again that we elope in the coming months for multiple reasons. I'm not going to lie- it was very, very tempting. Especially when he kept throwing around words like free (not-Obama induced) healthcare, higher pay and stability. I almost had an orgasm thinking about all the possibilities. I would be able to actually go to a doctor. I could get my teeth cleaned (!!) and I could get new glasses that I've been needing for several months now.


But then, like always, the voice of reason woke up and slammed on the brakes. What was I thinking?! I'm not even 22 yet and Brian, well, I love him to death but I definitely robbed the cradle* He's not even 21. Neither of us are financially responsible enough** to run a functioning household. I've always promised my mom that I would wait a reasonable amount of time before marrying someone to avoid the mistakes she made. I also promised her multiple times that I would never get married without her there. Plus the allure of a big, fancy wedding is just too appealing to turn down. Selfish, yes, but I never said that I wasn't.

So what do I do? I do have plenty of time to decide, which is helpful because I am in no state to make life altering decisions right now. I'd rather pull a tapeworm out through my ear (*shudder*). I love Brian to death and I can very honestly see myself with him for the rest of my life, but there are so many other things going on nowadays that I can't imagine hiding such a huge thing from my family. Not to mention I wouldn't survive if my mom found out.

The adventurous side of me just screamed "DO IT!" at the top of its imaginary lungs. Maybe it's time to sedate that more...



What would you do in my situation? Would you listen to your practical, reasonable side or would you take the plunge and give in to spontaneity? What would you do if your (un-supportive) parents found out? Would you tell your family?



*Does that make me a cougar?
**Though Brian's better at it than I am, by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment